Saturday, October 22, 2005

Illusive Love

In keeping with my personal committment to get up early in the mornings and get some exercise, eat healthy, and work right, I feel extremely elated this morning. I woke up at 5:45 a.m. and surprisingly did not feel like I had to go to war with my body over the need to sleep. I think that is because I didn't have to wake up FOR something.. other than putting on my running shoes and getting out for a brisk walk with my lovely mom. The weather was absolutely beautiful.. It was wonderful walking around my compound listening to the birds singing their chirpy chants.

As I walked, I went into one of my deep thought trance moods.. and the subject that came up was one that has boggled age old philosophers from the beginning of time. Whats this love thing all about.. I remember my Philosophy of Love course I took in college which ended up leaving me with more questions than answers about this thing we call love. What on earth does it mean to fall in love. I know a lot of the contemporary thinkers believe it is a product of chemical reactions in our brain that give us the sensation of being in love.. similar reactions occur when we consume chocolate and feel warm and tingly inside. I don't know what it is about love that is so mysterious and hard to understand. If it feels so good, why don't we see it more than we should? Is love really just some biophysical process and we're fooled to believe that there is something noble attached to it?

Think about how difficult it is to find the right person to spend the rest of your life with these days. My mom always tells me how simple love used to be back in her day. If a girl and guy liked each other, there would be no question about them talking about spending the rest of their lives with each other. They weren't afraid of committment back then, because it was viewed as increasing the support system. When I look at my own stories and those of my friends, I really wonder about the probability of you wanting someone and they wanting you back. Its just not that simple anymore. Committment in a relationship has become a fear factor for many in our generation.. is it because we are seeing so many marriages break right in front of our eyes? Or maybe its the fact that our priorities lie more with success in business rather than success in our personal relationships. I am afraid that one day in the near future, the word love will come to mean an inconvenience, pressure, and too much work especially since it isn't all for yourself the individual. It requires giving.. and many young people feel that this would be a big risk as you could lose everything if it all went wrong.

People like to have control over their lives more now than ever. Falling in love seems to make people vulnerable and powerless even if it feels good in the beginning. Many older singles that I know have told me that they do not need to be in a relationship anymore.. they are 'beyond' that need. One woman told me she left her first husband because there was just no growth in her marriage. It seems that today, the value for people is to become more advanced. Change is the only constant and so it is with people. We change and grow all the time.. how could an illusive concept like love hold for eternity if this is the case?

As much as I'm an optimist, I'm also a realist. I have yet to experience that deep true love that is often the subject of movies and books. On the other hand, love is so abstract and I may be totally wrong trying to explain it rationally. As in a dream I had one night, the strong man with a brilliant smile told me "Love just IS."

3 Comments:

Blogger nijaz said...

reminds me of my own search for an answer.

Until I realised love is, a virus, a sort of control mechanism, injected into us by God (I believe in him.)

He had to make it. Without it, He would have been erased from the minds of humans.

The other things I guess are probably after-effects.

Sunday, 06 November, 2005  
Blogger Pragya said...

Love is feeling which is not bounded by thoughts.When it happens, u hardly have any previous thoughts left with you regarding love.As it was said "Love is blind".As a female i think tht its more about giving then expecting anything.

Tuesday, 20 December, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget the word. Love is experience, first; challenge, next; commitment, third; and finally metamorphosis(transformation).
Love first teases, serves excitements; then it invites you to reach out to the other as sharer. Then if both of you find in your selves a lode of values which only the two of you can build up to a tower of treasure, then love invites commitment.
Love is your other!

Friday, 14 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home