Thursday, October 20, 2005

Robin Sharma: the high-tech guru

I discovered Robin Sharma about two months ago after reading his book 'The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari'. The book is an amazing journey into the potential world of how we can live our best lives using our most treasured faculty, our mind and heart. The book tells a story about the transformation of a hot-shot lawyer who does not have time for anything besides making money, attending high-profile social events, and winning in the courtroom. The transformation comes about when he is faced with himself after a heart attack caused by his selfish and unhealthy lifestyle. He comes to the realization that he hasn't accomplished anything meaningful in his life.. he sets off to India to learn the way of the happiest, healthiest, and most peaceful monks on earth.

As with any genuine self-help book, the good ones are those that actually give you things to DO to make you develop and grow. 'The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari' is one such book that doesn't only inspire with big-talk but gets down to practical habit-forming strategies that can alter the course of each day, and so your life can change in a matter of a month or two. The biggest lesson I got was one of hope and optimism.. you don't have to believe that changing your life is not in your control. You have full control over your life because you can control the thoughts in your mind, even if you are helpless in certain situations. Life CAN be better.

I highly reccomend this book to anyone looking to find purpose and drive for living true happiness. I didn't realize how important habits are in the state of your happiness.. my mentor Mr. Yogi always pushes me to live healthier and to try to be in the best physical shape. It truly increases your chances of smiling more, being more kind, and elevating your daily life.. not to mention you would be better equipped to handle unavoidable stressors. So I am thinking about cutting down on alcohol, getting my ass to the gym, and waking up earlier in the mornings (one of the most emphasized habits encouraged by Robin Sharma). Listening to his podcast the other day, Robin talked about overcoming fears, those things that block us in every way.. I loved the story he narrated about a man entering a temple that was guarded by these ferocious barking dogs. The man decided that instead of running away from the dogs, he would run to them. He noticed that the dogs' bark became lighter and eventually they just sat down in front of him. Why do we have the tendency to believe that our fears are so undefeatable.. they may be nothing in reality.. we make them to be more than what they are. It is not easy to run to your fears, and I'm the first one to admit that. But then I keep going back to this story because it spoke to me so deeply due to my real-life fear of dogs. .

I think I really like this guy Robin. He seems cool and doesn't seem afraid to admit that he likes material things.. I was just reading his blog about how he loves India while he is touring there right now. He talked about the service of the hotels, the fact that Indians are among the happiest people on the planet (think thats because we're so good looking!!), and how he overlooks crime, poverty, and corruption that is so rampant.. he does have his shortcomings in this respect.. but I think he prefers to look at the brighter side of things. It also struck me just how similar we are with our observations. I've always told people to listen to cab drivers.. Robin Sharma has read my mind on many occasions. He truly is the contemporary high-tech guru of our times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home